San Luis Obispo Weather: 60.8°F | Humidity: 25% | Pressure: 30.14in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Big Bad Winter
updated: Mar 11, 2017, 1:00 PM

By Fired Up Fred

Hello again. Yes I am back whether you like it or not. Well, Lauren from Edhat called me and asked if I would write something now and then and I just can't say no to that girl. So, here it goes…

Well, Big Bad Winter showed up this year. Everyone seemed so surprised. Geez, we have all the fancy equipment and educated meteorologist and scientists. Are you telling me no one knew?

There are things that are best done the old fashioned way that really work. You can use your computer technology but some things done with good old know how, experience and the book that farmers used for years to guide them. The Farmers Almanac. I was talking to one of my old buddies and when I say old I mean OLD. He was a farmer and rancher in the old days. We talked about the storm and back in the Fall he predicted a hard wet winter. I said, What does an old Coot like you know about weather?

He said, Look I was walking around the ranch and the acorns had fallen all over. I was afraid I was going to step on them fall and break a hip. So what do acorns have to do with weather. Any farmer worth their salt knows that means a bad winter. The acorns fall the squirrels gather them up. That's when we depend on good ole know how not some news weather guy. We used the Farmers Alamac and years of experience and knowledge handed down by generations. Well the old Coot was right. Now he never stops talking about being right. I told you it was comin, he said. That guys head is so big he won't find a hat to fit his BIG HEAD.

Well, that's about all us old guys talk about weather and bowel movements. Ha Ha, gosh I think I'm funny.

2017-03-11 01:05 PM

Charming. BM talk.

I wish the squirrels in my yard would eat only acorns and leave my bird feeders alone. They actually chewed through my wooden $40 Acorn woodpecker feeder. Oh, the irony.

Hoo-rah for rain. What does the Almanac say, now, Fred? Is this it until next January?

2017-03-11 01:25 PM

Remember March is "in like a lamb out like a lion". So expect another good storm around the 22nd to 25th of the month.

Another grey beard thank you much.

2017-03-11 01:27 PM

I missed you, Fred! In that way one misses a grumpy old dude. Hope to hear more...

RICHYRICH agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-11 01:27 PM

Anything past 10 days is pure speculation !

2017-03-11 02:16 PM

I had a weatherman friend once tell me that you just cannot accurately forecast long range. I asked him what he meant by long range and he said anything over 8 hours.

MISTA agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-11 02:40 PM

The News "weather-persons" are as clueless as any news caster with regard to predicting the weather forecasts...
The only cool technology is checking out Doplar Radar photos of what's coming our way.

2017-03-11 02:45 PM

Modern weather forecasts are extremely accurate for the next 24 hours, then get less reliable for 2 days hence and past 3 days the weather predictions are about as reliable as pondering acorns or old guys predictions of their next bowel activity.

2017-03-11 02:51 PM

How do you predict a forecast?? TV Guide?

And what is a Doplar?

FANGIRL agree helpful negative off topic

2017-03-11 03:12 PM

Farmers Almanac predicted dry winters last year and this year. They were right about Southern California last year and wrong about the north and put a disclaimer in the 2016-2017 almanac. They will have to put in another one next year since overall it's been the wettest winter on record. Wish we could get a little more in SB county though. I have heard about plentiful acorn harvests being a sign of a hard winter so that seems to have gotten it right.

2017-03-11 03:57 PM

932. Mista meant "doppler." (As if you didn't know that already.)

2017-03-11 04:01 PM

Hey old man great story .Well I guess I understand this better than most I was in the high country in august All the pine cones were shredded every were not one had any food in it {not in the tree not on the ground },Everywhere I looked no food was to be found. I looked at my bud and sais holly smokes were in for one hell of a winter he laughed So did everyone else well at least until January {slow learners} Id bet the call for the late march storms is right on, If you are truly present in your surroundings you will always Know. That all said farmer's have been scientifically proven to call the weather way better than any weatherman why because they know there surroundings Nuff Said

2017-03-11 04:02 PM

I asked Edhat to post a terrific article regarding how and why the rain usually misses us, for the most part dousing north and south of us. It's all about "rain shadow."

The article also explained the drought and what we can expect, in very easily understood and salient detail. Too bad it was never posted.

Here's the link:

2017-03-11 04:04 PM

Dang, Fred sounds a lot like Roger today! :-)

2017-03-11 05:26 PM

Flimper, that was covered Jan. 17, and engendered some good critical conversation: http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=180768

2017-03-11 09:24 PM

All fine...but can you weave the hair on your big toe?

2017-03-11 09:55 PM

Almost, 009, before I lost it like most of my other hair!

2017-03-11 10:18 PM

Welcome Back Fred.

2017-03-12 04:13 PM

Fred, please complain about daylight savings time. I hate having to change all the clocks twice a year for no good reason.

67% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.