Edhat
 

San Luis Obispo Weather: 66.0°F | Humidity: 70% | Pressure: 29.88in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
    Send the last good SLO picture you took to slo@edhat.com login  twitter  facebook  RSS 
 
 
 

 
SLO Heart Walk
SLO Heart Walk
 
Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat
 
News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Structure Fire
updated: Feb 27, 2013, 8:59 AM

Source: San Luis Obispo Fire Dept

Small Residential Structure Fire in San Luis Obispo

San Luis Obispo - San Luis Obispo City Fire Department personnel responded to a reported structure fire at 552 Westmont Ave in the City of San Luis Obispo at 4:17pm earlier today. The first arriving SLO City Fire Department unit found a small room and contents fire in a 1,200 square foot single story duplex residential unit with the next door neighbor attempting to extinguish the deep seated fire through the front door with a garden hose. She had been alerted to the fire by the sound of an activated smoke detector. The two occupants of the involved unit were not home at the time the fire was discovered.

The remaining fire was quickly extinguished and overhauled by the first arriving fire department unit. Control was achieved within 8 minutes of the initial 9-1-1 call. The City responded a battalion chief, a ladder truck, and two fire engines. Cal Fire also responded an engine and a battalion chief as part of the automatic aid agreement. Fire investigators were also requested and responded.

Operations utilized to control the incident were fire attack, interior search, shut down of the power utilities, and ventilation. The American Red Cross also responded and is providing temporary housing and assistance to the two displaced occupants.

No injuries occurred to the occupants or firefighters. The property loss/damage to the structure and contents is estimated at over $20,000. According to Fire Marshal Roger Maggio the fire started in the living room on a low table and burned completely through the floor. The cause of the fire appears to be accidental/unintentional. The residence did have a working smoke detector according to fire investigators.

The public is reminded to ensure their place or residence or employment has working smoke detectors present.

Please call Battalion Chief Jeff Gater at 805-540-9361 with any questions or information needs.

***** Smoke detectors save lives, test yours every month *****

 

Be the first to comment on this article.

# # # #

 

Send To a Friend
Your Email
Friend's Email

Top of Page | Printer-Friendly Page

  Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2014  
Edhat, Inc.