San Luis Obispo Weather: 59.0°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.09in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Puppy Shipping
updated: Feb 20, 2013, 11:15 AM

I am considering buying a puppy from a breeder in the Midwest. She offered to ship him via heated cargo, but I wonder if it will be too traumatic for him. He will be about 3-4 pounds at time of shipping, 8 or 9 weeks old. Has anyone had any experience with a young puppy being shipped like this? The flight will be anywhere from 6-9 hours.

2013-02-20 11:22 AM

Brace yourself! A tsunami of self-righteous posts is headed this way!

2013-02-20 11:24 AM

I was going to say, I got my popcorn ready for this one too.

2013-02-20 11:25 AM

You should call and check references from other people who have purchased puppies from this breeder. You should also talk to a local vet about it, 8-9 weeks old is pretty young.

2013-02-20 11:30 AM

Don't buy from puppy mills.

2013-02-20 11:32 AM

My sister's ex-boyfriend purchased a pure bred puppy to try and win her back. An adorable little white thing was flown out to CA from the midwest, ended up fine and a good dog. Except he will not go near the puppy crate he was shipped in. My sister kept the dog and ditched the boyfriend, happily ever after!

2013-02-20 11:33 AM

My neighbor has done it a few times, but the dogs were large breed and much bigger than 3 or 4 pounds. Also, they knew the breeder and had been around other dogs bred by this breeder. Is it a once it has left my hands it is your problem, or do they guarantee a live healthy puppy at your end. Please talk to the vet you plan on using and get advice on that kind of shipping for a dog that young and small.
My dogs have all been rescues - large mixed breed rescues at that - but I do understand people who do not want to take that on and would rather purchase a puppy. Please people, don't make this a judgment on what they are doing, just offer advice from experience if you have any.

2013-02-20 11:35 AM

It must be a horribly tramatic experience for a little puppy to be shipped anywhere. It is after all a living thing. Why would you buy from a breeder in the midwest?

2013-02-20 11:35 AM

Please adopt instead. Dogs are put down all the time and supporting breeders = supporting killing dogs.

2013-02-20 11:37 AM

Check very, very carefully the breeder; ask for references that you can contact of other buyers - by phone, whether they have had the dog shipped. What kind of dog? That would have something to do with it --- some are simply very nervous, being in a cage for that length of time away from everything he's known before may be very traumatic.

I used to take my two basenjis with me on flights across country, about 6 hours in a crate from LAX to Boston. One was fine, one was very nervous for days afterwards and was sick in the crate - but both of these were adults.

2013-02-20 11:40 AM

It is a very bad idea to purchase a puppy from a breeder you have never met, from conditions you cannot verify, from parents you have never seen. The midwest is home to many puppy mills. I am not saying this because I am against purebred dogs or against buying a puppy from a breeder. I am saying it because you just have no way of knowing what your are getting. You can find a reputable breeder in California for any dog breed you might be interested in. Do your homework first. Find out about the breeder and his/her dogs. Get the health certifications from the breeder -- current hips, elbows, eyes, heart certifications for both parents. Look at the conditions the puppies are raised in. Check the pedigrees for both parents. If you really think this is a good breeder, go there yourself and pick up the puppy, take it home on the plane in a sherpa bag with all of the required health certificates.

2013-02-20 11:43 AM

PLEASE don't buy a dog. There are so many reasons not too. You are supporting an industry that is not worth supporting. We all know that it is the Santa Barbara elitist thing to do, but walk down to a local shelter or an adoption agency and adopt a dog that needs someone. It will save you a ton of money and throw your support somewhere else where it really is needed.

2013-02-20 11:45 AM

Beware Amish too

Any breeder willing to ship to some one unknown in winter is only interested in the health of your wallet.

Google "mid west puppy mills" and think about if that is what you want to support. And no you are not saving a puppy from a puppy mill, you are buying old stock so they have room for new stock.

2013-02-20 12:09 PM

Too many variables in ordering a dog like that. Best is to find a breeder in California and go to their property, make sure that the puppies have been raised correctly with plenty of people time and play time. Then pick one out that matches your energy level and temperament.

Of course I would prefer that you go to one of the local shelters and get a puppy from them, but I understand that some people need to have a specific breed for various reasons. I haven't ever had a puppy in my house because I always rescue older dogs, but from the stories I hear I haven't missed anything.

2013-02-20 12:15 PM

Dogs are not killed in Santa Barbara shelters for reasons of overcrowding. There is no surplus dog problem in Santa Barbara. The whole "breeders are killers" meme is simply false. If you want a predictable dog with health records and history, a reputable breeder is the best option. Of course, shelter dogs can be great pets, and I would never discourage anyone from adopting a shelter dog, but there is simply no reason to equate a reputable dog breeder with overpopulation in shelters. There is more than enough demand for dogs to go around to cover both shelter dogs and purebred dogs.

2013-02-20 12:17 PM

Why would you not go adopt a sweet puppy from DAWGS and not put a little pup through a flight half way across the country. I've heard of many people doing this with both cats and dogs recently and think it is absolutely ridiculous and selfish.

2013-02-20 12:21 PM

I volunteered at the shelter for years and believe in rescuing. That said, if you want a pure bred, this doesn't seem the best route to go. Is there no one closer breeding the type of dog you want? If not, consider driving out to get the dog. Until you see the parents, living conditions, owners and puppies, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Or choose a breeder that someone you know has used. Shipping a live animal just doesn't seem right. (Also, Beware the Amish? Really? My parents got two collies from an Amish family (the breed collies & make butter to support the family) and they are healthy, and the family was great. My family is from PA, so they could visit the pups prior to taking them home, though. The second sentence is totally valid, though.)

FIRST DISTRICT agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:31 PM

I don't know what breed is being considered, but I would be extremely hesitant to do any thing like this. 1) Sight unseen?
2) AKC 'approval' of the breeder?
3) Breed association 'approval'?

There are so many possible pitfalls.

Please consider visiting DAWG. That group is remarkable and very worthy. The dogs there are treated so well and their adoption procedures are fantastic.

While I'm at the podium I'd like to say that people should always keep in mind that adding a dog to the household is like adding a child. They need to be considered as important, long-term members of the family.

2013-02-20 12:33 PM

Our first lab was from a breeder in the midwest - however, we had driven there (for other reasons) and saw the farm and drove back with the puppy - greatest dog ever! Beautiful, good with other dogs and kids, we could have worked on his training a little more, but overall really good dog! He was also under $100 compared to places here were probably ~$400 then!

And I've known at least 2 people who spent a lot of money on labs from breeders in CA - one had hip dysplasia and the other does not get along with other dogs - and she was well socialized as a puppy! So I'm not all about the CA breeders! (the hip dysplasia one got his money back and some vet bills paid for - but the dog passed away at 6 yrs old because of genetic health issues!)

LIZBETH agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:37 PM

I have to second the idea of getting a puppy from a breeder you know/trust or have good referrals to. And from closer to home, if you can. A friend got an Aussie from a "midwest" breeder, shipped to him. Sweetest dog, but he is gigantic, nearly twice the size of a "normal" Aussie, has multiple joint problems, and while a happy dog for the first few years, has developed severe anxiety. I know people actively involved in showing dogs that have either shipped or received puppies, with great results. I disagree with the idea that those of us who want a specific type of dog should all go to the shelters and adopt either a pit mix or a chi mix. I'm glad people save them. but I prefer to choose my own type. Those same people likely "bred" their own children, rather than adopting ...

2013-02-20 12:40 PM

United offers a Pet Safe program. They do have restrictions, so contact them early on in the planning stage. When I have shipped or purchased a puppy that needs to be shipped, I have chosen to fly with the puppy. A puppy that small easily fits into a carry on pet carrier.

Please do the responsible thing and check out the breeder, through the parent club of the specific breed. Ask if health testing has been done and ask to see the results. Are both parents champions of record (AKC)? Ask if you can contact previous puppy buyers. Ask to see the purchase contract, to make sure it protects both of you.

I have been involved in owning, breeding and showing dogs all my life. And yes, I have done more than my share of rescuing of both purebred and mixbred dogs.

2013-02-20 12:56 PM

There are SO many wonderful dogs absolutely languishing in the shelters.... please consider saving one life by adopting!

2013-02-20 01:40 PM

Please adopt from a shelter or rescue.
Shelter and rescue dogs make the best pets.

2013-02-20 01:47 PM

PLEASE adopt locally. If you simply have to have a certain breed, there are "breed specific" rescue groups, many within our County area, who will help you to get a healthy and happy puppy.

Google "breed specific rescue" and, whatever you do ----DO NOT SUPPORT PUPPY MILLS. Thank you. Best of luck.

2013-02-20 01:47 PM

Ditto what SBPoodlelady said. I will also add that my puppies are much larger than 3-4 lbs at 8 or 9 weeks. If they were that small then I would encourage the new owners to fly themselves out so that I could meet them in person and bring the puppy back with them in the cabin of the plane.

2013-02-20 01:50 PM

I went to a breed rescue in Acton (many breed rescues are located there, about 1 1/2 hour drive from here) and I got a 1 year old dog with a pedigree. Ten years later he is a wonderful dog, healthy, sweet, great with people and other dogs. It was a great decision. Maybe you could look into a breed rescue if you have your heart set on a particular breed.

2013-02-20 01:53 PM

I support purebred breeders, when they are truly breeding good dogs. I wouldn't buy from the midwest, site unseen, unless you're involved in the dog world and know the reputation of this breeder.

If you are simply looking for a good purebred dog of a particular breed, find one within driving distance and pick it up yourself. I drove to Montana to pick up a 9 week old puppy one time. We had a great trip home with our adult dog acting as "mom". The flight would have been very traumatic.

BLUEB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:59 PM

I agree with checking out the breeder and their facilities. I also agree with SBPOODLELADY that a 3-4 pound puppy will fit in a carry-on pet carrier under your passenger seat. So you can fill two needs with one deed by personally flying out to the midwest to check out the breeder in person, and if all is OK, then fly back with your new puppy as a carry-on. Sure, this is probably more costly than the breeder flying the puppy out in cargo, but the benefits and avoidance of potential risks doing this in person will be worth it.

2013-02-20 02:48 PM

We recently traveled out of state for a site visit, talk to the operators and to choose our pet. It was a very positive experience. I loved meeting my new pets' siblings and mom. PoodleLady offers very sound advice.

I don't think it's wise to trash-talk online, then turn around and have your hand out for money. The rage and also pushing the false notion that the local orgs here are so at the top of their game that they're trend setters for orgs everywhere else (Mountain Lion Rescue) is one example of the ridiculousness that I won't forget. I still support animal rescue orgs- just not in this county. That's permanent.

2013-02-20 02:58 PM

Could you possibly fly there and fly back with the puppy?Most airlines let your small puppy stay with you at your seat, and it would be less traumatic for both of you.

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 02:59 PM

A friend bought a Chihauha from midwest and it grew to be something else. Not chi. Another bought from midwest breeder and had tons of health issues.
I would go to a dog show and talk with a true breeder and buy from them. Midwest breeders are not regulated like other states.

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 03:04 PM

And some of those midwest breeders have FAKE sites where you meet them to check things out. But its NOT where all the dogs are really housed.
Undercover reporters have uncovered harsh environments etc.

Even the Dog Whisperer rescued some reject dogs from a backyard awful breeder. They did a show on it.

2013-02-20 03:12 PM

376608 sez: supporting breeders = supporting killing dogs.

Does it also follow that supporting shelters = supporting irresponsible owners?

If I want an avocado, should I instead eat corn because a lot of corn goes to waste every year?

2013-02-20 03:20 PM

OFFS, get a dog at a shelter. There's no excuse for flying one in from another state. Plenty of purebred dogs without socialization problems at shelters all around SB and Ventura counties.

No excuse for being lazy and selfish in this day and age.

2013-02-20 03:36 PM

To buy a puppy for any reason other than showing the dog is to sentence an innocent little puppy in a shelter to death. Adopt don't shop!

2013-02-20 03:42 PM

um have any of you self-righteous people been to a local shelter lately? There are very few puppies at any of them and if there are they are pit bulls.

2013-02-20 04:11 PM

If the OP is looking for a smaller breed dog, check out Cold Noses, Warm Hearts in Goleta. I've seen postings on Craigslist and in the window of their brick and mortar location of many poodles, Bischon mixes and chi mixes. It does seem like the majority of dogs at DAWG are pit mixes. CNWH gives a good alternative to those wanting a smaller dog.

2013-02-20 04:19 PM

@648, if dogs are not killed at shelters in SB due to overcrowding, then why does the County shelter start labeling dogs as unadoptable whenever their numbers get above 100? Unadoptable means dead. Anyone who has volunteered there in the last decade has seen this dynamic.

@726P, why do you think the rescue groups here are the ones doing the trashtalking? It all looks anonymous to me. The people running the rescue groups here are some of the most reasonable and pragmatic people I know. Some of their volunteers, on the other hand, can be pretty dogmatic. Dogmatic, get it?

2013-02-20 04:27 PM

In-bred

2013-02-20 04:28 PM

Here's the thing- there are "responsible breeders" of just about every breed within driving distance. That is a way to avoid "puppy mills", many of which flourish in the midwest and southern states.
I'm not so much against buying purebreds. Just try to keep it close to home so you can inspect and, if there's a problem, hold someone accountable, close to home.

2013-02-20 04:28 PM

My reasons that I wouldn't do this are: the trauma of the flight on the puppy, you have no idea the health of the parents. Puppy mill puppies are a crap shoot. If the dog isn't health, it will be harder to return the dog. Would you put a sick dog on a plane to return it? If you don't meet the dog, how do you know the temperament? We have rescue groups for every breed of dog in Ca where you can go visit the dog. Give DAWG a call, we have rescue contacts all over Ca.

2013-02-20 04:42 PM

Assuming this is a genuine post--because, with all due respect, it sounds a little on the naive side--you might try a simple Google search for the topic of mid-west puppy purchase.
Rather than get bounced around like a ping pong ball in the eye of a discussion hurricane, gather basic facts on why and how a puppy can be bought on the internet and shipped.
Even if you had an assurance that it was a thoughtfully bred and healthy pup (which is sadly not likely), you want to question who ships a puppy that young and that small in winter weather. That is too long for a pup that young to be isolated and cold.
There is no such thing as heated cargo. Air pressure controlled, yes, but heat--no. Also, be aware many unscrupulous--read profit-minded above all else--now post photos of generic family rooms, lawns, and children to fool you into believing the pup is raised in a home environment. Really, they are raised in feces-encrusted rusted cages. Want to know another mind-blowing fact? Many puppy mills today are owned and run by Amish people! I am serious. Look it up, it's sad and true.
Good luck getting a wonderful dog who will be healthy, not fearful, and a well-loved member of your family. You should not feel at all bad if you have decided on the breed you want, and adopting won't work out, but you should protect yourself and not support immoral people who raise puppies in the worst conditions.

2013-02-20 04:46 PM

P.S. I wanted to say that I admire how incredibly constructive and civil almost every comment was! 591's popcorn no doubt went to waste.
We can disagree on a lot of things, but the horrors of puppy mills offend people of all stripes (or I should say coat colors).

2013-02-20 04:59 PM

No need to import as there are plenty of great dogs here already! You can even "test drive" a dog by fostering!

One word: DAWG
Two words: K-9 pals
Three words: Santa Barbara HumaneSociety (had to cheat a bit!).

There are tons of great dogs at the pound! My daughter fostered a dog that had been in lock-up for 1.5 years and ended up adopting her. Everyone that knows her are so perplexed that such a great dog was without a family for so long and my daughter feels good that she didn't contribute to the increasing burden of unwanted dogs which is what happens when breeders are used as a source for a furry friend.

2013-02-20 05:15 PM

actually a few airlines do provide climate-controlled cargo areas for pets. there are a lot of unadoptable dogs at the shelters, that's a fact. no one is going to adopt a big vicious dog that barks constantly. I think adopting is great, but it's silly to chastise people if they don't want to do that. Many of the local adoption groups are pricing themselves out of the market. For example, many of the chihuahuas would be taken by hispanic families if it was cheaper to adopt.

2013-02-20 06:23 PM

Get a rescue dog and donate the balance of what you would have paid for that purebred to the rescue organization.

2013-02-20 06:39 PM

We've had several dogs in the last 20 years, all from the organizations off of Patterson ave....

They all slobber great, have great attitudes, guard the front door well, play catch, follow spoken commands, and are real sweethearts.

We take our time when choosing a dog, but the breed has not been a large concern, rather, the attitude of the dog. Slow and easy. They come fixed. And we take time to integrate them into the house.

We have gone to person training early one and once that was done we knew how to work with the dog. This is the mistake we often see -- people think it's the dog that needs training when in fact the dog training class is really about training the person.

Good luck!

2013-02-20 06:53 PM

I rescued a young purebred from a CA organization. Many CA orgs post their available rescues on Petfinder dot com, as mine was. I have had her for 7 years now and she's the greatest! Recently I saw a documentary on puppy mills and they are most prevalent in the Midwest and they con buyers into thinking they are legit with phony websites, brochures, etc. and also counterfeit papers so proceed with caution!

2013-02-20 06:57 PM

You think getting a random dog shipped to your door is going to be better than seeing one in person and finding out if you connect with it or not?

Not trying to criticize, but to me, shipping a dog sounds like mail order consumerism. When you get something you are going to invest time and energy into caring for, you should at least see if the shoe fits first.

Aside from that point, I agree 100% with the people stating that there are plenty of adoptable dogs in the shelters that need a good home. If you are willing to provide one, I'm certain the chosen dog would be overjoyed.

MERIDEE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 06:31 AM

My daughter had a standard poodle puppy shipped to LA from Canada, and "Lulu" seems to be doing fine, and does like her crate-although she has a bigger crate now. My daughter had met other people who had gotten puppies from this breeder. I offered to pick up the puppy, as shipping was $350, and thought that it would not be that much more expensive to pick her up, and less traumatic, but they decided to ship her on her own. The flight was less time, and the puppy was between 5 and 6 pounds. I know that some breeders demand that you pick the puppies up, and/or will only ship them @ certain times of the year.

2013-02-21 06:35 AM

My sister has purchased from random breeders (pugs, French bulldog) around the country, as she too prefers purebred puppies. She's had good luck, but the Frenchie and 1 pug came with varying degrees of health issues. Probably the luck of the draw. Over the past nearly 16 years, I've had 3 dogs, all from shelters/rescues. Our 1st from SB Shelter was a 1 year old Aussie Shep, saddled with a few emotional issues. We worked them out; he was wonderful. He recently passed at 15 years old. Our other two are German Sheps from Westside Germ Shep Rescue (one was 7 mos at adoption; other 2 years). All have been excellent dogs. Affectionate and grateful the whole time. I'm talking about me on this latter point.

2013-02-21 07:35 AM

A couple years ago, I was looking for a chihuahua puppy and fell for a cute face in an email sent by a breeder several states away. The puppy was 8-9 weeks and 3-4 lbs, shipped cargo. Plane was delayed due to winter weather so flight ended up 8 hours, it waited in a cold shipping dock kind of environment, and it had health problems not disclosed by the breeder (hernia/parasites).

When we brought it to our vet, they said that a breeder willing to cargo ship a puppy that young isn't one who's looking out for the well-being or health of her dogs. The puppy ended up having such severe psychological problems we had to give it away.

We did some research on the breeder herself after this ordeal and found that she had an arrest record for "intent to defraud" and a lawsuit currently against her for the death of a puppy in her care.

P.S. This breeder said that she shipped via heated cargo but when I called the airline she was going to use I learned it was unheated.

2013-02-21 08:01 AM

Please consider adopting from SB Humane Society or similar....

2013-02-21 10:44 AM

You don't mention the breed you are adopting but my suggestion is contact your vet or a local vet for information. Many have clients that are breeders. Perhaps they could put you in touch with someone in this area or at least within driving distance. That way you can see and hold the pup and choose the one that likes you best.

2013-02-21 12:55 PM

Do not let him travel alone. Spend the money and go get the puppy yourself! You will be glad you did.

2013-02-21 01:26 PM

589 and 691: You are hilarious! I was thinking the same thing, actually.

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 02:48 PM

I brought in my current two dogs as pups from Ireland, and it was pretty much the same price for me to go over, pick out the two pups I wanted, and fly them back in a sky kennel crate as it would have been to have shipped them alone. That way I could go, pick out the dogs that looked best and responded best to me, and then return with them in the crate I flew over with. For this breed the American bred dogs typically live to 7, and Irish to 10-11. The American bred are a small gene pool that is inbred, duplicating medical issues, and once I had seen the Irish dogs in action I knew that it was going to be worth it to me to bring them back. Based on what I know of the purebred dog world I will say I think it is VITAL that you meet the parent dogs, see the breeder's facility, and pick out the pup from the litter that matches your level of energy and personality. I thoroughly endorse the science of creating purebred dogs. I know that I have a preferred breed, and they have a certain personality and type that meshes with mine. If anyone else wants to rescue a pit mix or a chi mix, go for it. I don't want one of them in my life, and my having my dogs neither creates nor destroys those other breeds.

2013-02-21 05:36 PM

OP here. Of the 60 commenters, thank you to the 2 who actually answered the question. To those who provided thoughtful and helpful comments, thank you - I appreciate your perspective. To 589 and 591 - you knew what was coming! And 608, excellent points. To those who provided judgmental opinions: for crying out loud, find a hobby. To assume that everyone except you is ill-intentioned and ill-informed is the hallmark of a poor character and a petty mind. For everyone's edification, I have thoroughly checked out the seller. She has had a sterling reputation as a breeder for almost 20 years and does not run a puppy mill. I want a specific hybrid puppy that is not available in California, or I would get one here. There aren't any of this particular breed in need of rescue. So rather than jump in with your preconceived judgments, how about either addressing the specific question at hand or.... oh yeah..... finding a hobby?

2013-02-21 05:54 PM

Don't do it. As a former dog rescuer the number of sick and geneticly predisposed to big problems that came from Midwest breeders was horrible. In addition to that the pup is too young and fragile for a trip like that. Think of a toddler-without his mom for the first time in such a stressful trip. Seek out a reputable breeder nearer to home so you and the pup can start out in an optimum way.

2013-02-21 06:23 PM

OP, if you checked out the breeder who has 20 years of sparkling clean puppy mill success, why ask for opinions here? And what special hybrid dog is it that you are seeking that you can not find in CA? Just curious.... B/c I have 1 purebred and two popular sought after hybrid dogs that were all found locally at shelters and are wonderful, healthy pets.

2014-06-30 11:42 AM

Shipping a dog from a good breeder can be a better choice than buying local from a substandard breeder, but there are a lot of puppy mills in the Midwest.

A good breeder does appropriate health testing on their dogs. They do not have multiple litters at once. They prove their dogs by showing or working them in conformation, obedience, agility, hunting, therapy work, herding, etc. They ask for vet references and want to know about you. They don't make falsifiable claims about their dogs (i.e. a potentially hypoallergenic breed also has a low-maintenance coat, since these are mutually exclusive). They should also be with you for the life of the dog, and willing to take it back and find it a new home even a decade from now.

If you can find a health-testing, dog-proving, small scale breeder that is willing to ship you a puppy, go for it.

32% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 3 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.