San Luis Obispo Weather: 58.8°F | Humidity: 33% | Pressure: 30.19in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Trees In Bloom
updated: Feb 18, 2013, 8:45 AM

With the weather warming up so quickly, I have been noticing lots of plants and trees blooming. What are people's favorite early-bird blossoms? I am partial to Western Redbud, Magnolias, and plum trees.

Photos submitted by Edhat Subscribers:

An image of the flowers of the Black Rosé (Aeonium arboreum)

PURPLERIDER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 08:57 AM

Our Aeonium Arboreum's (Zwartkop (Black rose)) are in bloom, beautiful, delicate yellow flowers.

2013-02-18 09:12 AM

There is a lovely group of flowering Plums at State & Alamar. They are one of my faves.

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 09:13 AM

Of the herbacious plants in my garden, Borage outranks them all. Favorite of bees, it has lovely deep sky-blue blossoms and fuzzy foliage. Of the woody plants I concur with purplerider that not much can top Western Redbud, or the deciduous Magnolias of what ever varied flower form or color! Ornamental peaches have an intensity of flower color and a branching form that I find more charming than that of flowering plums, but they're few and far between. In colder coastal climates, the later blooming Bradford Pears are quite the sight to see.

But for me the tiniest light green shoots of humble grasses and filaree poking through the bare winter soil are testment to the turning of the season, and bring a warm gladness to my heart like no other plant can do. The eternal promise of renewal and HOPE.

2013-02-18 09:22 AM

Grevilleas are in full bloom, as are Proteas and Leucadendrons, and you cant miss the Aloes! Maybe a little less exotic but equally beautiful, apples trees are covered with pink and white blossom right now, and many Camellias are still going strong.

2013-02-18 09:52 AM

Freesias!

2013-02-18 10:40 AM

I have some ceanothus in my front yard that's delightfully blue and my husband keeps mentioning the pink magnolias in our neighborhood.

MESARATS agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 11:26 AM

Citrus for the sent

2013-02-18 11:33 AM

Flowering white trees all over town. I don't know what they are, I think maybe flowering pear?

2013-02-18 11:41 AM

Freesias and violets. Violets aren't really early flowering, they bloom due to low temperature, but my freesias are ready to opeen and my violets are blooming like crazy now.

2013-02-18 02:13 PM

It probably cost a lot to send citrus.

2013-02-18 02:18 PM

@794, it only costs a few scents.

2013-02-18 04:25 PM

Lovely, poetic post, Seedlady. Our (association) grounds have numerous ornamental pears blossoming now - probably the white flowering trees mentioned by 707.

2013-02-18 07:38 PM

My Rhododendrons have been blooming all winter. They say you can't grow them here, i've got over 200 and they seem to do pretty good in my backyard.

2013-02-18 08:18 PM

@796P Yah, That makes sense. (794 here) My favorite is sen-sen sensemilla. (SIC)

LIMES agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 08:35 PM

I've been loving the Ceanothus "snow"-covered hills. Have never seen it so perfuse. And now that the white-flowered species are fading, we get the purple ones just coming out. Love it!

2013-02-19 01:01 AM

My nectarine tree. It blooms way before any of my other deciduous fruit trees. Started blooming two weeks ago. Little bugger. I have to be really quick to get it pruned each winter.

And the orange blossoms now are heavenly.

Despite the fact that I am waging war against oxalis, I have to admit the yellow flowers are delicate and lovely. The bees sure love them.

2013-02-19 08:21 AM

White star magnolias, cerise redbud, pink prickly phlox. When the
Phlox stop blooming, spring has arrived.

2013-02-19 08:39 AM

..017, and when the clarkia have finished you can say Farewell To Spring... :-(

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:44 AM

AuntieS, thanks... but on rereading my post, I can see I've been reading too much Austen and Trollope lately!

Anybody else getting Miner's Lettuce? I've always had a little in the rough shady spots in my B40, but this year--wow!

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 09:15 AM

Daffodils have been my favorites fro many years, they bloom in Feb. and give me hope spring is coming. There are half a doz. at the end of a driveway on Concha Loma, in my neighborhood; love walking by. The flowering pears are beautiful, and some pink blooming fruit trees are out.

2013-02-19 10:38 AM

Yes, Seedlady, tons of Miner's Lettuce. I'd forgotten what it was, thanks.

2013-02-19 11:09 AM

Daffodils, without a doubt! And heavy heady lilacs!

59% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.