San Luis Obispo Weather: 61.7°F | Humidity: 98% | Pressure: 29.96in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Sign Up For Edhat Flash Photography Fun

Flash Friday Book Picks
updated: Feb 08, 2013, 2:00 PM

By Edhat Subscribers

All we want to do is curl up with a good book on this rainy Friday. Send Ed photos of the book that sits on your nightstand.

Send photos to flash@edhat.com

2013-02-08 02:15 PM

Good Luck with the Liar's Club, I found it very depressing.

2013-02-08 02:35 PM

I am rereading James Herriot's "All Creatures Great And Small" series. Can't post pics.

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 02:44 PM

I love Bossypants... hilarious book by a hilarious lady.

351- anyone can send a photo in to post, not just paid subscribers.

2013-02-08 02:50 PM

I'm reading "A Song of Fire and Ice" series (also known by the first book's name "Game of Thrones") I thought of sending a photo of my ipad as I download the files and read them that way but decided to just talk about it instead :-)

Its a great series, can't wait for the next season to start on HBO in March

2013-02-08 02:55 PM

When We Were Orphans. Author Kazuo Ishiguro

A wonderful book "All Creatures Great And Small". Enjoy!

One can catch the whole PBS series on Netflix by the way. I was born in Harrogate and I lived there until I came over here in 1964. Harrogate is afew miles from James Herriot country and where, if I recall correctly(?), the young Doctor took his wife on Thursdays, his day off. Now I am suddenly homesick.

2013-02-08 03:41 PM

356P: I'm reading book 5, Feast for Dragons. :) Fantastic series. I'll be sad when I finish this one - I hate waiting for the next to come out!

2013-02-08 03:48 PM

I loved all of the Creatures Great & Small. I find such pleasure in animal stories. Thanks for the memories....

2013-02-08 04:18 PM

I found The Garden Of The Beasts Gripping. I also very much enjoyed Larson's Thunderstruck and The White City

2013-02-08 04:57 PM

On my nightstand: "What to Expect: The Toddler Years"

2013-02-08 05:06 PM

Thank you so much to whom ever is reading 'Santa Barbara History Makers'. I was very fortunate to have been able to read 'Goleta The Good Land' from a friend of mine. Have been shopping on Amazon periodically and came across a great price from one of their book sellers.
I am ecstatic!!!!!

2013-02-08 05:45 PM

Tisherself : Congratulations! I love Amazon and have found several difficult to find and out of print books on this site.

Walker Thompkins was a neighbour and he was a lovely person. He was on our son's paper route and when he eventually decided to retire from his job and concentrate on his school work he presented each of his customers with a letter explaining this. Walker Thompkin's replied with a wonderful letter of encouragement for his future success in life, accompanied by an autographed copy of his book. My son. who is now 44 years old, still has the book, proudly didplayed in his book cse. Good memories.

2013-02-08 06:29 PM

Thank you 430, I want my grandson's to read the wonderful history they come from. I envy your history with Mr. Thompkins. At times I wish I had a time machine. =)

2013-02-08 07:09 PM

Hey 3 60, we have the same son!

2013-02-08 07:31 PM

In SB at the Historical Society Museum and also Chaucers bookstore, Walker Tompkins' book the Yankee Barbarenos (tilde over the "n") was edited by his wife Barbara. She is my dear friend who now lives up north and will be pleased to hear all these wonderful comments about Walker known to many as Tommy!!

2013-02-08 08:01 PM

The Picture Book of Sexual Love, but my camera isn't working.... I guess it's too dark.

2013-02-08 10:50 PM

356P & 382: A friend just emailed me (a rare event) and told me he finally took my advice and is reading the five books (Song of Ice & Fire). He is so happy.

I, like you, cannot WAIT for the upcoming episodes on t.v. and the next book.

My friend in Perth, Australia also read these books because I insisted he do so. He, however, got hung up on Martin's wordiness. Or some such beef. Oh well.

I miss Tyrion so much, it is an ache. And Jaime. And all of them. Glad others are having fun with Martin's incredible creation.

EMUWREN1 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 11:09 PM

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I loved all those Ice & Fire books, too! Can't wait for new HBO episodes. Breathless anticipation.

Missed out on posting my photo of book. I only have about 150 books on my coffee table right now, sorting through everything.

Tomorrow is Neal Graffy's book signing of "Santa Barbara: Then & Now." If I'd had my copy already, I would have posted that pic, as that's what I'm reading next.

(Signing is at Petrini's on Calle Real, in Goleta. Starts at 1pm, I think.)

2013-02-09 07:18 AM

Favorite book of the year in my world,
"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese....so beautiful in concept and use of words

but bedtime reading...I need inspiration and I love Mary Oliver's poetry

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:02 AM

Watch out for Walker Tompkins, he had a habit of adding his own opinions to history, "filling in the blanks". Pearl Chase would correct him on some articles, saying, "You got it wrong, I was there." He'd reply, "I'm a journalist, not a historian." For "Yankee Barbarenos" a whole bevy of local historians edited his writing for the publication, making corrections (Neal was one of them). What Walker did for Santa Barbara was to get us all interested in history, starting with his pieces for the bank.

2013-02-09 08:34 AM

"Quiet.. The Power of Introverts..." That has to be the best title for a book I've ever!

KATYDID agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:45 AM

Great idea! Thanks for posting what folks are reading!

2013-02-09 09:43 AM

I' m reading A Wrinkle in Time and The Little Prince, unabridged - my 9 and 7 year old granddaughters' favorites at this moment...

2013-02-09 09:47 AM

Perfect rainy day easy reading: UNLIKELY PARADISE. A first time novelist & well, well done!

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 06:44 PM

I have dozens of books on a two-shelf headboard -- incredibly stupid in earthquake country, I know!

My go-to is MFK Fisher's "The Art of Eating," read several times and always soothing. Might be time to peruse it again. Still working on Brillat-Savarin. Addicted to the New Yorker, thus not many books.
Finishing Tim Harford's "The Logic of Life: The Rational Economics of an Irrational World"; pop economics but a good beginners' read, probably much like Freakonomics.

38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.