San Luis Obispo Weather: 61.2°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.82in ( Falling) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

Mossy Oak
updated: Jan 07, 2013, 5:47 PM

I want to share some photos I took on our 45th anniversary in the Santa Ynez Valley.

2013-01-06 02:18 PM

Nice snaps.... though I think the vertical of the truck in the field at Ballard Cyn would've worked better as a horizontal.... why? All the lines in the composition are going left to right so shooting this vertical is much like wearing perpendicular stripes.

Ballard School shot is beautiful.

2013-01-06 02:24 PM

These are anniversary pix.... Why would the photog care about horiz or vertical at at nice time like this.. obviously on vacation, not a photo seminar.

Actually, it's nicer the way it is! Look again.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

2013-01-06 02:37 PM

What's with the $s stuck in the ceiling?

2013-01-06 02:58 PM

The $$$ in the ceiling is the top of the Maverick Saloon in Santa Ynez.

2013-01-06 04:27 PM

Wonderful! While you may not want to put yourselves out there it would be great to see a pic of the celebrating couple. H A P P Y A N N I V E R S A R Y!

2013-01-06 05:33 PM

thanks for your happy HAPPY ANNIVERSARY photos!!

2013-01-06 06:49 PM

Thanks for the sharing with our community - you must have good stories about what helps make relationships smoother and the challenges and satisfactions. Many more healthy anniversaries to you - you have my admiration and respect.

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-06 06:59 PM

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had fun and got some great pictures.

Curious, where is last ones location? I've heard of an old service station in Santa Ynez but the last time I was there I couldn't find it!

2013-01-06 08:28 PM

One time I tossed money up at the ceiling and FIVE came down and I was allowed to keep them. SO, I bought drinks for the house! Great fun.

2013-01-07 06:57 AM

Thanks for the nice thoughts/comments.

The gas station is on Meadowvale Road in Santa Ynez, around the corner from The Hayloft and Maverick's. BTW
I shot the picture of the truck in the vineyard in Ballard Canyon vertically AND horizontally and liked the one I posted. We visited the Rusack Winery tasting room and had some wonderful first year wine from their new vineyard on Catalina Island. The sommelier Marty Martin was very knowledgeable and fiendly. Also, the first pic (of the oak) wasn't suppossed to have been included. On the first day (Friday), just after leaving Bacara at about 3PM, the sky turned black and we drove thru the heaviest rain I have ever seen, approaching the Gaviota Pass! On the way home on New Years Day we finally drove out to Painted Cave. Well worth the drive!

2013-01-07 07:23 AM

Great images. We live in such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.

2013-01-07 07:37 AM

This''vintage'' gas station was actually built by former owner Bob Kirby sometime after he moved to Santa Ynez in 1970.
Bob called it his ''time machine''. Nice story about station and Kirby in Santa Barbara News Press, 7-7-87. ''Station'' and barn are at the cor/o Meadowvale Rd. and Manzana St. n/o the Maverick Saloon.

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-07 07:39 AM

Thanks so much for the info on the gas station. Will check it out next Sat when I'm in the area!

2013-01-07 08:40 AM

Happy Anniversary! I love the pictures of Sta Ynez Valley not seen before - by me at least. although the money ceiling, I don't know, I need to see that for myself, it kinda creeps me out!! LOL Thanks for the pics, I see a road trip in my future.

2013-01-07 12:34 PM

Great collection of photographs. Especially like trunk & moss.

2013-01-08 05:05 AM

Thank you for sharing these pics. I hope you had a fabulous time. Happy Anniversary!

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-08 06:44 AM

Beautiful pictures, Happy Anniversary. The Popcorn Man bench isn't in the valley now, is it?

2013-01-08 07:53 AM

Update includes a tall bird. Ostrich??

2013-01-08 04:45 PM

Thank you for the really lovely photos. Congratulations! I wonder if the sweet looking dog belongs to you and went along on the honeymoon too :) What a great time you both must have had. It is really beautiful in the valley. We spent our 45th in Santa Ynez and Solvang too! We stayed at the Storybook Inn in Solvang which was really cute in those days with each room designed after a Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale. It changed owners and it is much too expensive for us now. Sadly, we were planning to return on our 50th which is coming up - hopefully :) - in two years.

2013-01-09 09:43 AM

Thank you for all the kind thoughts! The sweet looking dog is "Misty" who found me on September 11, 2001, and has been our constant companion ever since, and yes, she came with us to Santa Ynez. The tall bird is in fact an ostrich, at the Ostrich Farm between Buellton and Solvang. The Popcorn Man bench is at the foot of Stern's Wharf.

25% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.