Holiday Driving Tips
updated: Dec 21, 2012, 3:37 PM
California expects see a major increase in vehicles traveling throughout the state over the
Christmas and New Year's Holidays as many people travel to visit family and friends. With this
increase of traffic, the CHP offers the following driving tips:
- Be sure your vehicle has full tank of gas prior to leaving and refuel when the tank is no
less than ¼ full.
- Carry food, snacks, water and/or soft drinks.
- If traveling to a location where the temperatures are cold or ice or snow is expected, carry
warm blankets, hats, gloves, and extra clothing.
- Ensure your vehicle's tires, brakes, lights, windshield wipers; defroster, heater and
exhaust system are all in good working order.
- Make sure fluid levels are full (oil, anti-freeze, windshield washer reservoir).
- Keep your windshield, rear window, and side mirrors clean and unobstructed.
- Ensure all persons in the vehicle, especially children, are buckled up and are using a
proper child seat or booster seat if required (eight years of age and younger).
- Give yourself extra time to get to your destination. Map out your route prior to your trip
and keep an eye out on changing weather and traffic conditions along your route.
- Do not drive tired or fatigued. Get plenty of rest prior to leaving and take breaks
whenever needed to help maintain alertness.
- Slow down, give yourself extra room between yourself and other vehicles, and always
designate a sober driver when you are drinking.
As a reminder, the CHP will be out in force over Christmas and New Years to provide the
highest level of Safety, Service, and Security to all motorists to help ensure everyone gets to their
destinations safely and on time. The CHP urges drivers to check road conditions by calling the
Caltrans road conditions hotline at 1-800-427-ROAD (7623), or checking the Caltrans website at
Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)