San Luis Obispo Weather: 71.2°F | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 29.97in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: WNW | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [forecast]

Fun Fungi
updated: Dec 04, 2012, 11:28 AM

Another fungus for the edhat community to debate. This photo was taken early yesterday while walking the dog in a neighborhood on the Upper East Side.

2012-12-04 11:46 AM

maybe Grifola frondosa.....

2012-12-04 12:29 PM

I have a similar one in my backyard that is a single conical spiral - not cabbage-rose shaped like those above - but where the "petal" is a single continuous spiral from bottom to top.

EMUWREN1 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-04 03:39 PM

The G.f. i.d. seems good. Isn't nature amazing? I don't think I have ever seen one of these, and I always like to take a closer look at the local fungi.

2012-12-04 05:03 PM

My guess is Bondarzewia montana, but I'd have to see the pores underneath and look at the spores to be sure. Grifolia doesn't occur here, or at least has not been reported.

2012-12-05 12:43 AM

Googled Bondarzewia montana and don't see the resemblance at all. And don't you mean "gills" underneath?
I'd really like to know true name of this.

2012-12-05 12:47 AM

Oop. My apologies. I learned something from you, 248. Didn't know to look at pores under some mushrooms. Thanks for the lesson.

GOBBLEDYGOOK agree helpful negative off topic

2012-12-05 08:36 AM

Some mushrooms have gills, some (e.g. Boletus edulis aka Funghi Porcini, edible and choice) have a spongy layer with pores. They all have spores.

2012-12-05 08:46 AM

What about Dorothy?

63% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.