San Luis Obispo Weather: 71.3°F | Humidity: 70% | Pressure: 30.00in (Rising) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: WSW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

SLO Heart Walk
SLO Heart Walk

Happy Bday Cake
updated: Nov 29, 2012, 2:02 PM

Here's what I did with some of my "Late Bounty" zucchini. This pic is for the poster who said we should have more photos of things other than sunrises/sunsets. Today's my Birthday! Chocolate Zucchini Cake w/ Caramel Frosting. And I used pomegranate juice to color the flowers (juice from homegrown poms). HAPPY BIRTHDAY to any other Nov 29th and all other Sagittarians!

A subscriber shares a photo of fruitful garden vegetables in winter. [pic] (11/28/12)
1907 17

Back to Main Story

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 02:06 PM

Happy Birthday to you, nice cake..

CATMOM agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 02:31 PM

Very creative. Happy birthday!

2012-11-29 02:33 PM

Beautiful and creative. Happy Birthday!

2012-11-29 02:39 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
From another Sagittarian...

2012-11-29 03:20 PM

happy birthday! i'm not much for zucchini but that cake looks great :D

2012-11-29 04:07 PM

Fun with food !! I am sure it is delicious , too....
Happy Birthday !!

2012-11-29 04:14 PM

Well done!

Happy Birthday!

2012-11-29 05:18 PM

I love the Pom flowers! What a wonderful idea. Happy Birthday!

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 05:33 PM

Nice job! Enjoy! Happy Birthday!

2012-11-29 06:27 PM

HappyBirthday! Zucchini bread is so good I think the cake must be dlicious too.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-29 06:48 PM

Oooh Cake! It is beeyutiful! (Food fanatic here; eater & reader, not cooker or baker.)
I'm going to share the idea with an on-line acquaintance who is a baker. Never heard of zuch cake with caramel frosting, but now I want some. And it made me think of Clotilde Dusoulier's high profile food blog "Chocolate and Zucchini" (she's published books too.)

I discovered this today. You might want to check out the Red Pepper Velvet Cake and the Molten Beet Lava Chocolate Cake. Some stunning dishes on the menu: dirtcandynyc.com

Happy Birthday!

2012-11-29 09:24 PM

EVERYONE: Thank you for the birthday wishes. Had a great day. Best part being RAIN for my birthday. Love it.

YIN YANG:
This is the best zucchini cake recipe I have ever known. Super easy to make. Found it on "Just a Pinch" recipe site. Look up "Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Caramel Frosting," and there it is.

My only tips are: watch out for the frosting. It is so wonderful, it can turn fudge-like if you make it ahead of time. May have to add a bit more milk to thin it all out, so you can spread it easily.

And: I use organic sunflower oil for the oil part. This recipe calls for a lot of oil, but, WOW, what a great cake it makes.

Thank again, Edhatters, for sharing this beautiful and rainy day with me.

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-30 07:17 AM

Happy Birthday, Sag, from another! Love the natural coloring agents--healthy and gorgeous. Mine's next week--have been debating about how to celebrate...This is a great way to do it--with goodies from your own garden! Many Happy Returns

PEYTON'S GRANDMA agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-30 07:29 AM

Belated Happy Birthday to you, from another Sagittarian! Your cake looks divine! I love zucchini cake, but have never tried a chocolate one. Will check out that recipe, for sure! Thanks!

57% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.