San Luis Obispo Weather: 63.3°F | Humidity: 98% | Pressure: 29.97in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [forecast]

What Ails Ya
updated: Nov 23, 2012, 4:25 PM

By Pat Fish

Pat Fish found these two products at the local Long's Drugs, and they seem to provide the promise of a miracle cure, or a placebo effect, for undefined ailments. If the extract of bull balls doesn't fix you up, surely the cherry flavored cod liver oil will do the trick.

2012-11-23 04:40 PM

One can only imagine what would happen if these drugs are mixed. ;-)

2012-11-23 04:42 PM

Who ever said snakeoil salesmen where a dying breed? LOL.

2012-11-23 04:42 PM

Quien es mas macho? Ricardo Montalban o Desi Arnez?

2012-11-23 04:42 PM

There is still such a place as Long's Drugs?

2012-11-23 04:49 PM

Surely a CVS. Now finding a longs, that would be a miracle.

2012-11-23 04:59 PM

I wish there were still a local Longs.

2012-11-23 05:07 PM

LOL 223

2012-11-23 05:36 PM

Long Drugs does still exist in Hawaii. I saw one in June when I was there.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-23 06:08 PM

Must be the CVS 5 points...the Latin 'medicine' section is right by the waiting line...its the only thing that keeps me sane while waiting...happy to see I'm not the only one!

2012-11-23 06:54 PM

Hey some people still believe in elixirs to fix what ails you. Many of the treatments used by our state of the art Health Care System depend on belief and trust as well. And don't knock the placebo effect.... 30% effective rate is better than paying a ton of dough into the HCS that'll kill you anyway.

NATURE BOY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-23 07:25 PM

What does the cod liver oil claim to cure?

2012-11-23 08:19 PM

I wonder if those products will cure me of my bad attitude and bad personalty??

2012-11-23 08:33 PM

CVS owns the Long's Drugs in Hawaii, they just kept the old name there - Long's Drugs has a, uh, long history in the islands.

2012-11-23 08:44 PM

Thanks for the contribution, Pat. Good one.

MOONWILLOW agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-23 08:46 PM

Nature Boy, here's a link with info about cod liver oil. I also wondered the same thing. ??

2012-11-23 10:38 PM

If there really is a Longs left anywhere I will be among the many others there, in line, with all of my prescriptions and other needs in hand! Why do we need 7 CVS's here?

FRANKFROST agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-24 07:00 AM

Long and now CVS has a section of home remedites marketed to Latinos and if you think the "health supplement" industry for Anglos is dishonest you should read some of the ads on the Latino products. The marketers know there's no consumer protection for Latinos so they'll say anything.

2012-11-24 07:06 AM

I'm glad to see they have flavored the cod liver oil. Holding one's nose didn't seem to help. Not sure about the High Potency Macho stuff...what is Bovine Glandular concentrate? What part of the body is it from? And it's in a soft gel pill? I think I'll pass...not that I need it anyway :)

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-24 08:41 AM

DANG......... I might be tempted to pretend I called it a "Long's" just to give the complainers something to point out that was wrong................. but OK, my bad. Maybe I need a snort of one of these tonics to kick-start my memory. I'm one of those people who loves saying "Where the ___________ used to be" when giving directions, oblivious to the fact my listener may have only just moved here and has no memory of historical local landmarks.

LOURAY agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-24 09:07 AM

I've told my doc more than once, "If we can find a placebo that works, back the truck up to my front door." At least maybe a placebo wouldn't make my hair fall out the way one of my current drugs seems to be doing.

2012-11-24 09:23 AM

I bought the "Scott's Emulsion" last year to put in son Scott's Holiday stocking. He still has it, up there with the vitamins....now I know what to put in there this year, thanks Pat!

SBARTS agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-24 09:34 AM

In the late 80's my boyfriend and I rode Harley's on the weekends and we would pick up a friend named Jeff in Hope Ranch. Jeff's family owned Longs Drugs. He moved to Texas (go figure) but right after that Longs sold all their stores to CVS.

2012-11-24 10:28 AM

WHERE is said "local Longs drugs"? CVS blows!

2012-11-24 10:35 AM

Quick! Call Fox News! This explains the changes in national political demographics!

2012-11-24 02:38 PM

Quien es mas macho? Ricardo Montalban o Pat Fish???

2012-11-24 03:26 PM

Testosterone supplements increase muscle mass, help prevent osteoporosis, and testosterone is beneficial to red blood cell formation. The research on the effects of testosterone supplementation was done using bull balls. Cod liver oil is a great source of vitamins A & , EPA and DHA.. In the past it was given to kids to prevent rickets. Definitely not WASP packaging here, but real stuff inside.There's also arnica montana salve in that section - I've done time in the pharmacy line at this CVS too - great for muscle aches, arthritis, inflammation, referred to me by an RN at Cottage years ago following surgery. I think there's yerba buena tea (usually spearmint), that contains an antinflammatory that works for asthma. No cannabis there, but, like aspirin (willow bark), herbal/traditional/folk/natural medicines tend to endure because they work, and pharmaceutical research is increasingly based on the synthesis of compounds that are analogues of natural herbal medicines. Over 2200 FDA-approved meds have been recalled since 1996. Placebos are great too - if it works, it works.

Off topic - testosterone OD (serious oversupplementation,
can cause symptoms similar to intoxication - slurred speech, loss of muscle coordination, weakness and or numbness in legs or arms. I've been curious about the cause of the symptoms the police officer arrested for DUI in Lompoc or Santa Maria recently had, with no drugs or alcohol detected, but there are probably 100's of RX meds that could account for this.

2012-11-24 03:29 PM

Always got mine fresh, next to the bull fighting ring in TJ,but once not finding the larger Mucho Macho box only to find a much smaller box replacing it, i asked the clerk what was up? He said "Senor sometimes de bull wins!"

GARFIELD agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-24 04:36 PM

So over 2200 RDA-approved drugs have been recalled....

There have been few recalls of "natural" "supplements" because there is no independent testing and no legal oversight, unless it is obviously killing people.

Sort of comparing water and Wombats.

2012-11-24 05:10 PM

I still call the one on State Street next to El Pollo Loco "Longs" and probably always will. So what?

2012-11-24 07:52 PM

That macho stuff is probably a pretty good little tonic for active types should it's ingredients live up to the label!

Mix with 2parts jagermeister post work out

2012-11-24 08:43 PM

The CVS near the old Honeybaked store (at De La Vina) is head-and-shoulders better then the rest in the area. Yes it the busiest store they have in the area but their managers keep things moving. I miss Longs also, but this store is very good.

2012-11-24 09:09 PM

We'll have to ask the Dos XX man (AKA the most interesting man in the world) what he would recommend.

53% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.