San Luis Obispo Weather: 60.6°F | Humidity: 72% | Pressure: 30.10in (Rising) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

CAT OF THE WEEK

Thomasina
updated: Nov 24, 2012, 9:00 AM

Meet Thomasina - the calico hostess who greets all who visit with a smile and a purr. A very special cat. Keeps herself trim, yet never misses a meal. I wish I had her metabolism.

- Born in Isla Vista, September 1992
- Lives in Goleta, as an indoor cat
- Vet: Adobe Pet - Dr. Greg Haskell
- Favorite food: anything wet that's for cats - not so big on human food... oh and catnip too - dry or fresh
- Newest like: Hops in the tub after a shower to lick up the water there or from the faucet.
- Steadfast Habit: She follows. I call her the "foreman" when I'm out working in the yard, she will go from window to window and survey my gardening duties. She did this when she was an outdoor cat as well but stayed right with me. She's done it with service people as well.
- Favorite pastime: Soaking in the sun, Chasing strings with feathers

This is the first cat I've owned that has lived this long. She weighs in at a whopping 7 lbs and has been trim and healthy throughout her long life. She was my son's first pet and he wanted to name her Tommy, as the white Power Ranger loomed large in his life. I suggested a more femme name, like Thomasina, noting we could always call her Tommy as a nickname. He liked it. The more formal name stuck. (Do you remember the Disney film "The Three Lives of Thomasina"? That's the origin). When she was a kitten, she would leap up in the air about three feet and do a somersault, sometimes backwards, trying to catch a string - delighting my son and I and our guests. The original 'cat floor show.'

Thomasina was top cat for many years in our household until we took in a rescue (who has since passed on) and then, was replaced with another - ten years her junior. But, she's another story for another Cat of the Week. Thomasina loves to follow you around the house. When we moved in with my mom, she would to trail behind my mom on her short trips around the neighborhood with her walker. Wish I had taken a shot of that. Mostly though, she's been just a great companion to have in my life. Wishing my girl Thomasina a Happy 20th Birthday!

2012-11-24 10:47 AM

Most excellent...cats are best!!

2012-11-24 12:01 PM

She's a beautiful old girl!

2012-11-24 12:23 PM

Happy Birthday! You're a beautiful girl!

2012-11-24 02:02 PM

I got my cat as a small child. She was a stray and when we took her I was only five years old, she died when I was twenty five. She was my best friend in the whole wide world. She was a indoor cat and I believe that was one of the reasons that she lived so long. When she passed she had been suffering from diabetes for about two years, and was insultin dependent. When they pass they sure leave a huge hole in your life.

2012-11-24 02:55 PM

Happy Birthday, Thomasina. You're a very pretty girl and I know you make your mom very happy. Long may you pur!

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2012-11-24 05:51 PM

Happy Birthday to pretty kitty, Thomasina!

2012-11-25 09:39 PM

Yay Thomasina!!

2012-11-26 11:54 AM

Regal. Poised. Friendly. Active. What more could a senior kitty wish?

2012-11-26 03:35 PM

Wonderful! What a girl.

2012-11-27 03:41 PM

Love Thomasina - what a great companion. She's a wise old soul!

MOARTS51 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-27 08:29 PM

It is with a sad heart I let the Edhat community know Thomasina died on Friday Jan 25 sometime in the early morning hours. She lived a great life! And I have great memories and pictures. I'll be getting another cat I'm sure to be my next great pet 'cause there are a lot of great cats out there looking for a good home. Thanks to everyone for the kind and loving comments. purrrrrrrrrrrr

55% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.