San Luis Obispo Weather: 62.6°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 30.10in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [forecast]

All Local News
- 07/22/14

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 538263P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:31 PM

These are by far the grossest bugs we have in the county! Hideous indeed.

The bats love them and leave their buggy bodies all over our patio each early summer morning. Ugh!

COMMENT 538217P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 06:56 PM

I had one of these the other day, but your photos are MUCH better than mine. Thanks for posting, and info.

COMMENT 538216P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 06:52 PM

I know, harmless. But I clicked back the minute I glanced at the photo! Bleah, yuck, aaaacccckkkkk! on my part too.
Yes, interesting the poster has never seen one before. I can't compare it to an ant.

COMMENT 538213P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 06:48 PM

My first thought, MtDriver and all. Great photos, thanks.

COMMENT 538179P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-07-22 05:27 PM

...gadfly much? why doesn't he spend his gazillions on getting an amendment to the US constitution allowing for senatorial representation based on population? Then we'd be able to get something done in Congress, for pete's sake.

read complete comment thread

VORAN helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 04:50 PM

Those antennae indicate that the moth is male.

COMMENT 538148 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 04:18 PM

I was lying on the sofa one day and heard a strange tapping sound. When I looked down toward the source it was It turned out to be one of these guys walking across the tile floor in front of the sofa. He was huge. I almost hit the ceiling.

COMMENT 538147 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 04:17 PM

AAAACCKK!!!

COMMENT 538130 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 03:46 PM

As much as I advocate for spiders, I can not discover one of these things and not scream like a little boy whose Transformer toy has been snatched away. They give me the willies.

I have yet to kill one, though. Indeed one, somehow, landed in the washing machine and I didn't notice until it had hot water and bleach in there, too. I fished it out, doused it with cool water and set it down on some loose soil. It buried itself right away, so I like to imagine that it was no worse for the wear, but I hope it learned to stay away from my laundry room!

COMMENT 538120 helpful negative off topic

Which End Is Up?

2014-07-22 03:37 PM

This is a Monarch larva. It's face is downward where the long antenna are.

COMMENT 538113 helpful negative off topic

Which End Is Up?

2014-07-22 03:16 PM

@098 This is without a doubt a monarch butterfly caterpillar. Swallowtail caterpillars have light-green coloring instead of the white shown on this caterpillar. An easy mistake albeit.

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 03:16 PM

Potato bug, so feared and so harmless. Whenever I come across one, I admit my first reaction is to jump away and sometimes make an unpleasant sound....you know, a little "yikes" or similar. Poor critters.

COMMENT 538106 helpful negative off topic

Which End Is Up?

2014-07-22 03:02 PM

Both - as in "Pushmepullyu"

COMMENT 538098 helpful negative off topic

Which End Is Up?

2014-07-22 02:55 PM

beautiful swallow tail butterfly caterpillar :0} Love these.. :0}

COMMENT 538100 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:55 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but give me one of these over a house centipede ANY DAY.

COMMENT 538097 helpful negative off topic

Which End Is Up?

2014-07-22 02:51 PM

The top end is the rear. You can see legs at the very end and the lower portion has a head.

read complete comment thread

CHILI_CON_ARTCARNEY helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:45 PM

Beautiful!

read complete comment thread

EDSUP helpful negative off topic

Texas Image

2014-07-22 02:43 PM

Thanks so much for the location information. It is so close to my planned route that I think I will take a little detour and have a look see of my own. Sounds as if there are a few other ratty-tats along the way - should be a good detour! Thanks again!

COMMENT 538091 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:39 PM

bless you, 073.

COMMENT 538087P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:34 PM

What a great shot of the antenna!

COMMENT 538073P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:15 PM

Nocturnal. Eat dead organic matter, roots, tubers and insects. Not harmful. Beneficial. Can bite, but I have handled (no gloves ) many, many of all sizes, over the years and NEVER received even a pinch.

I LOVE these little guys. Whenever I lift up a plant saucer or bag of potting soil and I see a Jerusalem cricket fast asleep underneath, in its shallow little bed, I gently replace whatever I've lifted and let them be.

By the way: they aren't from Jerusalem.

COMMENT 538072 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:14 PM

I applaud you 038P. Thank you for clarifying that for 029.

and YAY ORTHOPTERA!

Another thing to make you feel weird about Jerusalem Crickets, to those already creeped out by them, is that they can carry a huge parasitic worm called a Horsehair worm Gordean worm. They dehydrate the critters when they want to reproduce, and then the cricket walks into water, and usually drowns, and then this 12-18 inch worm comes out of it! I found 2 or 3 of them in a friend's pool once that hadn't been recently chlorinated. it was crazy! then in the filtration area we found a few floating dead potato bugs.

COMMENT 538068 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:08 PM

good call, 051P. My bad- I forgot all about Polyphemus moths. Thank you!

COMMENT 538065 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 02:05 PM

It's a message from Gandalf!

COMMENT 538051P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 01:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a Polyphemous Moth, not a Ceanothus Silk Moth. The Ceanothus Silk Moth has a strong white "Nike" logo on the hind wing that shows well with the wings folded.

COMMENT 538038P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 01:30 PM

Well, Jerusalem crickets are in the order Orthoptera along with grasshoppers, katydids, crickets, etc. so they are somewhat related to crickets, although in a different family, the Stenopalmatidae, while crickets are in the Gryllidae.

COMMENT 538033 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 01:18 PM

Its a Ceanothus Silk Moth - Hyalophora euryalus

The caterpillars live off the ceanothus plants that are native to the chaparral here in SB. I've seen them all over (though infrequently) california, from SB county, even in Donner Pass! (though the ceanothus there is a type that grows close to the ground, Ceanothus prostratum.

Hope this helps. Thanks for leaving it be.

COMMENT 538029 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 01:15 PM

Using the term "potato bug" is falling out of favor. The term "potato bug" means "woodlouse" (i.e. roly poly and fwiw is not an insect, but a crustacean) to more people than it does "Jerusalem cricket".

When you say "Jerusalem cricket" you understand immediately what kind of bug this is and even if you've never heard the term before you'd know to expect those large, barbed back-legs.

That said, they're not related to crickets at all.

Also? They bite. Hard. Very, very hard.

COMMENT 538030 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 01:15 PM

I like cake

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 12:59 PM

I've always wondered what potato bugs do. I find them in the garden (don't find them scary) and don't know what they eat and if they are harmful to plants.

PAMSB helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 12:08 PM

Ode to the Potato Bug

Oh little creature, how we fear you,
Your ugly face and your barbed legs, too,
But put on a top hat and carry a cane,
And you will soar to comedy fame!

read complete comment thread

BULLSEYEB helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 12:02 PM

995, they have little barbs on their legs that get stuck in hair, sweaters etc. I know from personal experience!

Yanked off my sweater top on the street in IV back in the mid 80's because a giant potato bug was stuck on my shoulder. I screamed for my friend (male) to get it off as I stood there in my bra and skirt. He was laughing so hard that he couldn't see it to get it off for a minute or two. The cop in the patrol car sitting nearby was laughing too.

I hate these bugs with a passion. So gross!!!!

COMMENT 538000 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 12:02 PM

These creatures terrified me in childhood...actually, up until this very day! *Shudder* They are extremely resilient too.

PAMSB helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 12:00 PM

Remember Jiminy Cricket from your cartoon days? Bingo...:) You just met his kin!

P.S. When hubby and I first moved to this area in 1979, we freaked out the first time we saw one of these. Haven't seen one in years, but they always make me laugh.

COMMENT 537995 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:55 AM

In college, this was the bug the boys would place in a plastic cup and chase the girls around with. *shudder*

I vaguely remember hearing that they are very sticky. Some girl either had one in her hair, or knew of another gal who had to pull one out of their hair, etc.

I could barely look in the cup. I don't know why I find it so repulsive... I can deal with the Alien monster from the Alien movies. Somehow this bug is worse. :P It's shiny in all the wrong ways. :P

COMMENT 537986 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:40 AM

Indeed! Nino de tierra.

MOUNTAINMAN4865 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:29 AM

Also as... "Child of the earth". I think that's an attempt to make it endearing. The Maori call them "god of ugly things".

COMMENT 537979 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:27 AM

Potato Bug = what nightmares are made of!

COMMENT 537977 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:24 AM

That would be the yearly 'edhatwhatsthis' bug.

commonly known as a Potato bug

COMMENT 537976 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:23 AM

Yes, Jerusalem Cricket.

COMMENT 537974 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:21 AM

Potato bug, also known as a Jerusalem Cricket.

COMMENT 537972P helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-07-22 11:20 AM

537959 - very misleading. Up until the 2008 election, there was gridlock in Sacramento because of Republicans blocking bills, to the point that CA had a huge budget deficit problem for many years.

The budget deficit was only fixed with a Democratic supermajority. For me, the most important issue in CA was having a balanced, surplus budget.

The issues you mentioned are extremely minor, and do not affect the economic health of the state.

With respect to the supermajority, that does not prevent obstruction by the opposing party. And btw, I looked at the names of the legislators, and the majority do not appear to be Hispanic.

One of the blocks - who does not think campaign financing needs fixing?
“Highlighting Democratic losses, Republicans block California campaign finance bill”
Posted on March 17, 2014 9:06 pm by Rick Hasen
SacBee: “Republicans on Monday blocked a California campaign finance reform bill that fell one vote short, demonstrating the limits of a diminished Democratic caucus.”

A nice lesson for those who think that California became less dysfunctional because of top two or redistricting reform. The real reason for the end to gridlock (temporarily) was the Democrats’ supermajority in the legislature plus the governorship.

COMMENT 537970P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:19 AM

I think that it is a potato bug....

COMMENT 537968 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 11:17 AM

Curious if you are new to the area? They are pretty well known.

It's a potato bug.

Evil looking things. . .

COMMENT 537965 helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-07-22 11:16 AM

Things that make it easier for women who are raped to have legal standing in a system that disenfranchises them are good. Things that make it easier for young people with gender identity problems to feel more comfortable with themselves are good. That you find either of these things bad says a lot about you, I think.

I think now that we have a functioning legislature as opposed to one paralyzed by partisan gridlock that the state is doing a lot better. I'll pass on splitting up CA.

COMMENT 537959 helpful negative off topic

Rachel Hoyt Poems

2014-07-22 11:04 AM

The state does need to be split but not into 6 parts. Sacramento is the seat of a state government that is totally unresponsive to the real needs of most of the state. It is dominated by hispanic legislators who achieve dynasty status because of the demographics and lack of education of their constituants mostly in densely populated urban areas or rural farm labor regions like the San Joaquin Valley farming communites. They generally vote democratic/liberal and rarely sponsor a meaningful Bill, only those that placate vocal and special interest groups even to the point of being ridiculous like the 3 foot from bicycle ban, the latest Bill to require "evidence" of affirmative consent to have sexual relations between college students (like what ,a written contract?) and the requirement that any student can "declare" their sexual preference and use any bathroom on school campuses regardless of gender designation. (just to name a few)!

MTNDRIVER helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:59 AM

Aren't those antennae gorgeous? Like beautiful feathers. If it opens its wings, please send another photo!

COMMENT 537942 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:48 AM

When a friend's son did an insect collection, he started having dreams at night that huge insects would come and pin him some day.

Quite an imagination. But then again, I haven't heard from him for a while.

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:32 AM

Thanks, lovely. 904P, In Jr. High my son would dissect frogs for the girls who didn't have the stomach for it; he earned the nick name Doc, it followed him all the way through high school.

COMMENT 537912 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:20 AM

We had a similar visitor for a few days, looked a lot like a hawk moth, more than 3 inches long. I was beginning to think it was dead but then it left. Would be interesting to know if these are unusual or related to the tropical weather we've had recently.

COMMENT 537904P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:11 AM

That's why I never studied entomology. No way was I going to go out into the field and bring home hapless insects and kill them and pin them. Ugh.

The professor at SBCC told me I could take photos instead, but then lectured me about how I killed more insects with the grill of my car, blah blah blah.

Also got a 'C' in Biology at SBHS (and the rest of my classes? All A's)----because I refused to dissect a frog. Back in the 60s. Nope. Not a killer or one who condones killing for the "sake of Science."

COMMENT 537902 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:10 AM

Wow! Huge! Thanks for sharing!

COMMENT 537895 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:03 AM

We had Polyphemus moths in Missouri when I did my insect collection for a biology class, so I believe they are common in North America. The emperor gum moth is native to Australia (wikipedia), so I don't think that's what it is. They are quite similar to one another though.

COMMENT 537896 helpful negative off topic

Soft Pretzels

2014-07-22 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the support, everyone!

-Rosie

COMMENT 537893P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 10:02 AM

Those two look very similar. Need to see the wings open to really make the ID.

COMMENT 537890 helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 09:57 AM

Looks like a Polyphemus Moth.

COMMENT 537889P helpful negative off topic

2014-07-22 09:56 AM

Looks like an emperor gum moth, if my google search is correct.

COMMENT 537878 helpful negative off topic

Soft Pretzels

2014-07-22 09:29 AM

265 - to clarify, if using rapid rise yeast (as I and 291 did) there is no need to wait for the dough to rise. If you have regular active dry yeast you must wait. With rapid-rise, you sacrifice some flavor and texture by speeding up the process as the yeast doesn't have time to develop its own flavor. But I doubt that matters with this recipe...

read complete comment thread

43% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

Send this article to a friend

[ easy-to-print version of this page ]

Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2011