San Luis Obispo Weather: 60.1°F | Humidity: 77% | Pressure: 30.06in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 5.8mph [forecast]

All Local News
- 11/20/14

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

COMMENT 571242 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 01:03 PM

We have 2 mature orange trees that have no fruit at all this season, probably because of the drought. Normally, they each produce many 100s of fruits each year. We're hoping that they recover enough to fruit next season, but we'll definitely be keeping a better eye on them and watering them more this season.

COMMENT 571225 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 12:33 PM

Drought is wreaking havoc and spreads disease of fruit trees.
Rain dance needed asap.

_1_ helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 12:23 PM

I have two orange trees that were planted in 1972. They have always produced lots of great fruit..... Until this year. Fruit is not ripening, splitting and dropping. All the physical symptoms (white patches on the bark, spots of dark sap oozing, bark dying and splitting away, branches slowly dying) point to a disease called Phytophthora, a type of water mold. Google it. No cure... Bummer.

COMMENT 571221 helpful negative off topic

Local Climate Task Force Present to...

2014-11-20 12:13 PM

Indian "tribes" and Indian "reservations" are not "Nations". In fact since 1871, it is unlawful to refer to them as a "nation". In addition many tribes are not really tribes at all and many persons claiming to be "Indian" today are not, (or their native Indian ancestry is measured in minute fractions). Lastly many parcels of land claiming to be "reservations" or federal Indian trust lands ARE NOT! This is all a result of a politically correct "tap-dance" by politicians at all levels, in a disgraceful effort to ingratiate these "casino Indians" based on one and only one key element, MONEY, MONEY and more money and the power and corrupting influence generated by such large amounts of unearned gambling profits spread around to influence these often unethical and corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.

COMMENT 571204P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 11:20 AM

None of my oranges on my one tree split this year, although I have seen it happen in other years. The oranges were smaller, though. You must keep the watering and fertilizing on a steady schedule.

The rule of thumb is 15 gallons of water per inch of trunk diameter. I use a few "tree gators" under my tree. Each gator holds about 15 gallons. I fill them twice each time I water, but my tree is fairly large. I use the Landscape mix from Island Seed and feed. I think IS&F has some newer, better organic fertilizer now, too.

Mulching is key. Horse manure and leaves. Worm castings. Prune off dead wood, as needed. Give tree leaves a shower of water with hose, occasionally.

That UCDavis site says to get those split oranges off the tree. The oranges may be sour, but still edible. If left on the tree, they may invite a disease called Alternaria rot.

COMMENT 571203 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 11:19 AM

Not sure, but I tend to agree with 200p. Plants are susceptible to stress where by they "want" to disperse there seeds in order to propagate in case the parent tree doesn't survive.

COMMENT 571202 helpful negative off topic

Puerta Vallarta Festival

2014-11-20 11:17 AM

If they would only put this kind of time and money into LOCAL things for LOCAL people and not the dang tourists all the time we might care...

COMMENT 571200P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 11:09 AM

Source: homeorchard.usdavis.edu

To read the full text, please go to the site and search "Navel Orange Split."

Although the exact cause is unknown, fruit splitting is likely the result of stress to the tree. Splitting appears to be most closely related to extreme fluctuations in temperature, humidity, soil moisture, and possibly fertilizer levels, and the disorder is probably caused by a combination of these factors rather than by a single cause.

For example, when hot weather is combined with high winds, the tree becomes drought stressed and begins to take water from the fruit, causing the fruit to soften and the leaves to cup. If the tree is then irrigated heavily, the dehydrated fruit swell, causing them to crack. Young trees or dwarf varieties with relatively small of shallow root systems, as del as trees grown in very sandy or porous soils that do not retain moisture well, may be more susceptible to splitting.

COMMENT 571199 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 11:08 AM

They're so happy it finally rained, they're smiling.

COMMENT 571190 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 10:58 AM

Several articles mention stress as a first cause for this sporadic event.

Might make sense given the drought conditions.

COMMENT 571188 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 10:48 AM

Drought.

COMMENT 571187 helpful negative off topic

Shelter Dog Euthanized

2014-11-20 10:46 AM

Jan Glick's original response to Einstein's murder was because he's a danger to society and there was no mention of her violation of State Law by murdering him despite the rescue's attempts to save him. When it was brought to her attention that she violated State Law she changed her story to "I hadn't checked my e-mail... whoops".

She's broken State Law after that as well. I'm a volunteer and brought it to her attention. She decided to violate State Law for a 3rd time by retaliating against me and kicking me out.

If anybody needs information on how to take down this murderous criminal, I would love your help. Same handle as here on Facebook. Thanks, Arya

COMMENT 571183 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 10:33 AM

water is the problem , when the tree starts to bare fruit cut back water to 10% of normal.

COMMENT 571181 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 10:31 AM

I'm experiencing the same thing and much of the splitting fruit hasn't fully ripened when it occurs. I thought I was watering at the right amount but now, not so sure.

COMMENT 571178P helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 10:19 AM

The only thing I can think of is a sudden, overabundance of water.

Found this article-

COMMENT 571177 helpful negative off topic

2014-11-20 10:17 AM

A source that I trust said it's either over watering or under watering. We had gone from a drip system to me actually holding the hose at the base of a tree until there was a good sized puddle there. I'm an absolute water nerd, likely have the dirtiest car in the area and birds don't think windows are clear space...and I was guilty of watering too much.

COMMENT 571162 helpful negative off topic

Puerta Vallarta Festival

2014-11-20 09:37 AM

this just seems weird after the previous post.

COMMENT 571088 helpful negative off topic

Puerta Vallarta Festival

2014-11-20 07:06 AM

And we should care about this because...?

COMMENT 571072P helpful negative off topic

John Karl Mielke (1974 - 2014)

2014-11-20 06:14 AM

Too young; hope his family has a lot of good support.

read complete comment thread

26% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.