San Luis Obispo Weather: 78.1°F | Humidity: 42% | Pressure: 29.93in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [forecast]

All Local News
- 08/22/14

previous day | next day

Most recent Comments first | (reverse order)

YIN YANG helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 04:04 PM

Check out the specific list of brands & names:

Kroger is Ralph's, but only one kind of almond butter is on the list, not peanut butter. Same with Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods' 365 label.

COMMENT 546923 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 03:42 PM

@803- Fipronil and its chemical ilk have been found to be very destructive to honey bee colonies.

COMMENT 546921 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 03:35 PM

The algae feed on nutrients that are best removed with plants. I have used plant/gravel based biofilters to control algae in fountain systems with great results.

COMMENT 546918 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 03:25 PM

Vinegar if there are no fish or plant life.

COMMENT 546901 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 03:07 PM

Ultraviolet light sterilizer? goog for "water uv pond" or emperoraquatics or...

read complete comment thread

HEATHER helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 03:07 PM

OP here; Thanks everyone! Think I'll look into the Biodigesters. Our fountains are off 99% of the time. Yes,they are recirculators.

COMMENT 546895P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 02:56 PM

I have never used bleach in any of my bird baths nor my small fish pond. Ugh. Vinegar, if you must, please, to clean.
Bleach doesn't belong in the garden, ever.

The City has said fountains are okay, if they're recirculating the water. Water features are fine, if they support aquatic life.

However, I think all water fountains should be turned off. Put out small tubs/large bowls of water for wildlife, keep your bird baths filled, but turn off those water-wasting fountains.

By the way: standing water does not equal mosquito breeding, when it comes to tubs of water in your garden. You just need to keep an eye out, every few days, for the wriggling of mosquito larvae in the water. If you see the larvae, just dump the water on your garden and refill the tub/bowl. Easy.

COMMENT 546880P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 02:31 PM

I still keep water in my "frog pond" (small bird & animal fountain -- about 2-3 gallons, tops) because the animals need water too. Due to the raccoons, I have to dump it and scrub it weekly, and it still gets gross. When it's really gross, bleach is needed, but then I rinse it thoroughly before refilling with clean water, so as not to harm the birds.

COMMENT 546878 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 02:13 PM

I found a product online called Biodigesters. It's a collection of microbes that eat the stuff that grows in ponds and pools. We've been using the "Pool & Spa" variety in our hot tub (they have one for ponds as well) for over a year and it really works--have not used anything else for the same period of time and all it ever needs is an occasional vacuuming. And, we use the hot tub all the time, but just two with no kids. We have used a very small percentage of what they sent--much less than what is recommended on the label. It was quite expensive: About $40 for the 8 oz. I got, but I've used only about 25% in a year. The number on the jar for the company I got it from, Bio-Future, is 801-288-2847. Or biodigesters.net

COMMENT 546876P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 02:07 PM

OP of Pelican here. I used it because the background is the Harbor

CORKY helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:51 PM

I forgot to mention, they bite! Annoying when siting at the computer or sleeping.

CORKY helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:50 PM

Another vote for Terro, and I found them in cupboards on dishes, etc. No food available. Simple Green and Windex are great for killing on the spot, as is alcohol, but has no lasting effects.

COMMENT 546867 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:38 PM

The top patty is a delicious onion ring. MMmmm

COMMENT 546866 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:36 PM

We need an injunction.

COMMENT 546860 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:21 PM

Looks like a veggie burger to me, see that top patty?

COMMENT 546859 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:21 PM

752: I don't know what Home Depot page you're talking about, but the CAKG has _not_ been discontinued.

I just called the 800 number on the product. They assure me that it is still in production. What Home Depot may be saying is that they're discontinuing it from their own shelves. Doubt me? Call yourself. 1 800 426 6228

The full name of the product on the box is: Combat Source Kill Max A2.

One thing unmentioned about this product is its superior placement abilities The gel is quite firm & will stay in place, though I have found older tubes can separate. Pull the plunger out a bit, ensure the cap is in place & give the product some thorough shaking. Does the trick.

COMMENT 546857P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:09 PM

I took what @849 classified as "history" to be "headlines."

D8VANILLA helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:08 PM

They got the huge fountain going full force at Oak Park.

COMMENT 546853P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:04 PM

Who's still running fountains? Aren't they supposed to be turned off under the drought restrictions? The Dolphin Fountain is bone dry.

COMMENT 546850 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 01:02 PM

WE USE Simple Green or Orange oil and boiling water when ants are in the dry sink looking for nothing/something! Actually they compete with termites for space & the ants have found termites coming from the sink, how-what-why we don't know because our pipes are good (probably the dry sewer systems) The ants and the termites are in an interesting war, wings tearing off & violent pulling, eeeewwwww. We just let them do their think and then few hrs. later all gone, but they return! We 've found them even on the hot stove, they're jumpers for sure, all over the floors & the house is just vacuumed & cleaned! So crazy but hey, better than termites for sure!

COMMENT 546849 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:59 PM

1. Horse
2. Heart
3. Hairball (in the making)!
4. Helican 5. Hog
6. Hog
7. Hibiscus
8 Hairy Hog
9. more Hairy Hog(s)
10. Hmm... hemoglobin?
11. Everything you wanted to know about H but were afraid to read.
12. Hamburger, deluxe royale with cheese
21. Hat Trick

COMMENT 546848P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:59 PM

Tiny hungry mermaid...

COMMENT 546847 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:55 PM

Any kind of algal restrictor is also going to be hard on nearby plants that may get splashed by the fountain. If that is not a concern look into a salt water system... and I don't mean sea salt... but it does require maintenance.

COMMENT 546846 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:49 PM

I've tried algaecide, but the best product I've used for our fountain has been chlorine tablets -- safe, effective, cheap, and in the right amounts, not harmful to birds. (same as bathing in swimming pool water, and just as clear). Available at Home Improvement and Home Depot. A small package lasts months.

COMMENT 546844 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:47 PM

Fish and/or aeration. Keep out nutrients.

COMMENT 546836 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:30 PM

Barrier poison stray with a a hose attachment! It solved all of our ant problems!!

All you do it pour the poison into the hose attachement. Then just spray away! It dilutes it for you.

This creates a barrier around your home, which keeps ants AWAY FOR MONTHS!.

COMMENT 546827 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:16 PM

Hounds...
Could the pelican have been mistaken for a heron?

REX OF SB helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:13 PM

@825: You say that like it's a bad thing.

COMMENT 546825 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:12 PM

like i said before this town has gone to the dogs.

COMMENT 546823P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:07 PM

Maybe the dogs/cat are handsome? Or their names start with H?

COMMENT 546819P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 12:00 PM

The pelican might just be gazing at the Harbor?

COMMENT 546817 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:57 AM

Horizon?

COMMENT 546814P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:52 AM

At least a couple of the dogs are Hounds and one is a Husky.

COMMENT 546813 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:51 AM

Hound or head. The last one is a Husky.

pelicans are always hungry, maybe?

COMMENT 546812 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:48 AM

I guessed the cat to be "happy" and the dogs to be "hounds". But the pelican eludes me.

COMMENT 546808 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:41 AM

Are the dogs 'happy'?

(I don't get the pelican, can someone help me?)

HUGE HAMBURGER

read complete comment thread

ROGER DODGER helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 11:40 AM

Tofu is safe to eat.

COMMENT 546806 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:32 AM

Find out where they are coming in, pretty easy just follow the line. Baby Powder at the point of entry. No more ants.

COMMENT 546803 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:25 AM

Fipronil bait stations and gels. Pro stuff. Obviously keep away from kids and pets. Google it.

COMMENT 546790 helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 11:11 AM

The important take-home message here is that just one company, nSPRIRED Natural Foods is producing almond and peanut butter products for many other "brands". Additionally, if you are concerned about cross-contamination in the production lines (e.g.: allergy), here is a case-in-point. Peanuts, almonds, organic or otherwise---all potentially cross contaminated.

Those of you who think you're safe when you grind it yourself, think again. One moldy nut and you're out. Store clerk mixes the nuts in one bin with the same (hopefully gloved) hand as the other---cross contamination. The REAL risk---4 people out of potentially tens of thousands of nut-eaters.

Thanks, Ed, for posting this info.

COMMENT 546789 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 11:10 AM

"Going back to the nest with poison" can kill off a colony, but problems remain: ants will adapt to whatever chemical is used, and messages will be sent out in advance to get busy with a new colony nearby. FYI: there are MANY more ants underground than you can imagine, and they have been here for eons. I resorted to dumping boiling water on the mounds below the window (outside) and ended the summer invasion. But I still need to keep everything clean and be on the lookout, because I am sharing space with a very successful species. Another note: "this drought" is actually a global phenomenon that WE must adapt to.

COMMENT 546781 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 10:52 AM

Please don't use poisons and pesticides!!!! Learn about the bees and use only natural products. I have found an effective solution to ants: Use cayenne pepper, regular white vinegar and castile soap. Mix these things up 1/3 to 1/3 to 1/3 with water and put it in a spray bottle. Easy and cheap. We used an old Windex bottle. Spray this mixture on the ant trail. Kills them and they do NOT return! This works for garden pests too, and it's safe to use anywhere without harming bees, people or pets! Viola!

COMMENT 546779P helpful negative off topic

Venus, Jupiter & Moon Sighting on S...

2014-08-22 10:43 AM

I'll be up and I'll see if I can get some good shots also.

COMMENT 546775 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 10:27 AM

My house has been attacked on and off for over 3 months now...even had the nerve to crawl on me while in bed during their never ending search for water!

Terro Liquid Ant Baits, creating moats for pet bowls, and keeping counter tops clean of debris are the best solutions I've found so far (I'm trying to avoid chemical traps). Best of luck everyone!

COMMENT 546773 helpful negative off topic

Venus, Jupiter & Moon Sighting on S...

2014-08-22 10:23 AM

This time I will make sure I set the alarm for AM!, and pray for no fog on the Mesa (good luck with that, right?)

COMMENT 546771 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 10:13 AM

We have them in our bathroom now too. It's really gross, and I've tried just about everything. They come and go. I had to move all my houseplants outside because watering them attracts the ants. We went out of town; no dishes, food, etc. was left out and they still came back. We had to put our kitty's food in a "moat" (bowl of water with food bowl inside it) to keep them from eating her food.

I have tried all the non-toxic methods suggested, but they don't work. They couldn't care less about cornmeal, rice, lemons, etc. The only thing that sort of works is poison, but they still come back. They're pretty relentless!

COMMENT 546770 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 10:07 AM

Uh oh. 690 here. I left my kitchen sink and counters dry and spotless after breakfast early this morning, went out for a walk and on returning - a *massive* invasion of black ants, with long line of them marching back and forth along the top of the door under the sink and down the wall towards where the water pipes come in from outside.

It just took me 15 minutes to clean them up. Eating crow now, and ants. (!)

COMMENT 546769 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 10:06 AM

One of the non-poison methods that I have used for years is to sprinkle some corn meal around the areas where ants are outside. They take the cornmeal back to the nest and they can't digest it and it kills them. Very inexpensive and very effective.

CATNET4 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:41 AM

Think of them a "pets"! It helps a bit!
Also, put a few drops of detergent in the pet food bowl moat - then they can't swim across.

COMMENT 546764 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:36 AM

Yo 690P, I didn't leave any food in my bath tub last night yet I have hundreds, if not thousands of ants in my tub this morning. I was going to submit a picture, but it just looked like I spilled a container of ground black pepper all over my tub. I realize that they are looking for water but your "VERY simple solution" is invalid.

COMMENT 546758 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:22 AM

Sorry 690, but "just keep a clean house" is not the answer, and to insinuate that those with an problems are poor housekeepers is insulting.

I am quite literally OCD about keeping a clean house. Food is barely off the fork before I whisk dishes away to be cleaned. Tables, floors, countertops are always spotless. I shudder at the thought of leaving crumbs or a spilled drink. Yes, I know, I have a problem lol

The ants still come up through my drains and walk along the edges of my countertops, in my spotless sink, in the bathroom sink, etc.

So "just keep a clean house" is ridiculous. I know people who have much messier houses who never have a problem with ants.

Location matters.

COMMENT 546756 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:18 AM

I have heard that ants and termites are bitter enemies. Does anyone know about this?
No pesticides here either!(we leave the Cancer on the shelf)

COMMENT 546753 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:15 AM

I had great success with Terro Liquid Ant Bait. I poured a small amount out on my bathroom floor and watched a ton of them come in and feed on it went away, then another group came and fed, went away, then a third group. Haven't had an ant in the house since. I have small ceramic bowls in my yard with water, I have a fountain, I water my plants using the water I save from my bathtub, I don't think they are looking for water, they want food so something is missing in our yards due to the lack of rain.

COMMENT 546752 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:09 AM

According to the Home Depot site, CAKG (Combat Ant Killing Gel) has been discontinued. However, I've been able to find Combat Source Kill Max (gel) on Amazon and ebay. Both products contain 0.001% Fipronil which has been associated with colony collapse disorder. If I were to use this product, I would limit it to interior use.

COMMENT 546749 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 09:06 AM

684 here:

I get the Combat Ant Killing Gel at the Home Improvement Center on E Gutierrez St, The Do-It Center in Carpinteria has it (usually), also.

As to the "don't use poisons" and "just clean up" it isn't that easy. I wish it were. Glass cleaner is a lot cheaper than CAKG (which is relatively affordable, but I'd rather not spend it at _all_).

The good news is, the active ingredient in CAKG is relatively safe to mammals (it's the same ingredient as Frontline flea drops). It is a relatively slow poison to the ants, which is useful because it allows the workers get get it back to the nest.

Good luck everyone.

COMMENT 546738 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:51 AM

Just got back from Costa Rica. I have always HATED ants. I had a girlfriend get mad at me cause I was yelling at the ants. The amount of bugs invading the very nice house I stayed in in Costa Rica made me realize that we are lucky that ants are basically our only problem when it comes to bugs. I saw sand fleas in the kitchen- tarantulas on the porch- and 3 scorpions inside! That was just the beginning of the bug list!

read complete comment thread

FLICKA helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:46 AM

Scary, hard to tell what will come next, and what's safe to eat.

COMMENT 546734 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:45 AM

I've tried everything and keep a spotless kitchen. The Terro traps (boric acid - nothing to be afraid of) attract them and knocks them out for a little while but they always come back. The Raid traps are completely useless - they have no interest in them. After years of experimentation, the only thing that seem to work is to put a bunch of Terro traps OUTSIDE where you see them entering the house and this gets more of them than the few than venture inside. Between using traps inside and outside I've finally conquered the problem.

COMMENT 546733 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:40 AM

Thanks, 715...I've been going nuts trying to figure out how the ants have cleared the moat around the cat food! Thought maybe they were learning to swim or perfected the long jump!

Keeping things clean really isn't the answer , 690...I currently have a huge swarm in my bathtub, no doubt searching for water. Yet another reason why I pray this drought ends soon! All our creatures are suffering.

COMMENT 546732 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:37 AM

Terro Liquid Ant Bait

COMMENT 546731 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:35 AM

690 - well said and so true. I had a series of major ant invasions here recently. I now make sure the counter tops and sink are clean and dry overnight with no faucets dripping, and there are no crumbs or dirty dishes laying around.

The ants now leave me alone. Please don't use poisons, its hazardous and unnecessary.

COMMENT 546728 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:24 AM

Try keeping a few containers of water outside around the edges of the house. Perhaps the ants will go to the trough for a drink instead of coming into your house!

COMMENT 546727 helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:23 AM

I love arrowhead mills peanut butter, oh noooo

COMMENT 546725 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 08:19 AM

679 here 715 not sure where in Buellton you are, but we are in riverview park area; about 3 months ago we had a few scout ants emerge from an electrical outlet but nothing more since then. The ant highway that used to cross our driveway has also disappeared. Most of the lawns and gardens are overwatered with run off and I suspect the ants aren't in need of water because of it.

COMMENT 546722 helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:15 AM

Nuts!

COMMENT 546721 helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:11 AM

I got a call from Costco to return the MaraNatha almond butter I bought there a couple of months ago.

COMMENT 546720P helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:10 AM

You can grind your own fresh at Tri-County Produce.

COMMENT 546719 helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:07 AM

i only eat the stuff from the in-house grinder. so good brahs

COMMENT 546718 helpful negative off topic

Peanut Butter Recall

2014-08-22 08:05 AM

What about Skippy?

COMMENT 546715 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 07:58 AM

679 we're in Buellton and have been battling ants for months.

To those suggesting "just clean up and they'll go away", LOL! We've been cleaning up right after using things since they have gotten bad, to no avail.

It doesn't work to clean up your kitchen when they are in the bathroom, bedroom, coming out of the fireplace, and walking on the computer. These are places where there's never been any food!

We've been using Terro (boric acid), but it is only sort of useful. It at least keeps them mostly interested in the traps and not so much in other stuff. The moat around pet food sort of works until the crafty ones figure out how to use each others bodies to raft across it!

We're very careful about where we place the Terro because of pets, it is never where they can get to it. Windex or cinnamon and the like are useless when you are talking about them coming out of any tiny crack they can find in the entire house. I can't cover the whole house in cinnamon and windex!

read complete comment thread

DRDAN helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 06:47 AM

Windex

COMMENT 546706P helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 06:39 AM

We had an ant problem a month or two ago, as they presumably searched for food. After a few weeks of diligently cleaning up after ourselves, so there was no food source for them, and wiping counters with vinegar, they moved on, no chemicals or killing involved.

COMMENT 546705 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 06:38 AM

I agree completely with the comment about using no pesticides!

COMMENT 546704 helpful negative off topic

2014-08-22 06:18 AM

CAKG can be bought (or could be, I haven't bought any in a few years) at Home Depot. It does work pretty well, as 694 explained.

read complete comment thread

30% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.